Monday, August 30, 2010

Bahrain: the next phase



After finishing my round the world trip with Thinking Beyond Borders, I took a few months off to relax in San Francisco. I accepted a job working in a teacher's college in Bahrain, an island kingdom in the Persian Gulf. I've never been to the Middle East, don't speak Arabic, and only have a vague idea about Islam, so it seemed like a great second adventure. I have a two year contract and expect to visit the US again next summer between academic years (also to avoid the 120 degree summer days in Bahrain). I will fly to Bahrain tomorrow afternoon.

My preparations this time around have been relatively light. I had to take a physical, but no vaccines this time. There was a small amount of paperwork for my visa and job, but nothing compared to eight countries worth last year. I've been listening to a number of CDs from the library: a history of the Middle East, a history of Islam, and Pimsleur Arabic lessons, which I am downloading as I type. I'm a big believer in Pimsleur's method, no writing and all conversation, which is what I want when I travel. However, I am getting some interference from studying Chinese last year, since it's the same phrases.

I also had my second annual good bye to SF party, combined with my 39th birthday this time. It was nice to see everyone one last time, but suspect they may attend next year if the timing works out! Through the magic of the Internet, I'm already looking at apartments, and have it down to four potentials. They all have gyms, pool, and maid service included. I may be able to get used to this lifestyle, after living with roommates most of my life.

My friend Loic told me he had heard of recent Suni and Shiite unrest in Bahrain. The king and most high government officials are Suni, while the majority of citizens are Shiites. This means that the government has close relations to Saudi Arabia (it's even connected by a fifteen mile causeway). However, many citizens have relatives and friends in Iran. While Bahrain is considered politically and socially moderate, there has

been a recent crack down on freedom of speech and political dissent. The US Navy's fifth fleet is based there, due to close political alliance with the United States. I am unsure how the average Bahraini feels about Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment